Healthy Paleo Sweet Potato Fries
In my previous life as a unhealthy eater I was a huge fan of french fries, in fact I loved all kinds of potato. Since becoming healthier I have switched from white potatoes to sweet potatoes because they are more nutritious and have a lower glycemic index. Here is an awesome healthy recipe for sweet potato fries.
- 2 lbs of sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 teaspoons of seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Start preheating the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash the sweet potatoes very thoroughly. You can either skin the potatoes if you don’t like the skin on or leave it on. I leave it on.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into long strips. I like to make my strips an inch wide and about a third of an inch thick. Try to make all strips approximately the same size so they cook evenly.
- Melt ghee in a pan over the stove.
- Place the sweet potato strips in a large (clean!) ziplock bag and poor the ghee into the bag. Lock the bag and shake it until the ghee has evenly coated all of the potato strips. You may need to do this more than once if all the potato strips can’t fit in your bag.
- Coat a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the sweet potato strips on the sheet, no closer than half an inch apart.
- Mix the onion powder, garlic powder and seasoning salt into a small bowl. Take a pinch or two (or three if you are a salt fiend like me) of this powder mix and spread it on each of the sweet potato strips.
- Bake the sweet potato fries at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Flip each of the fries over and add a few pinches of the powder mix to each fry.
- Cook sweet the fries for another 10 minutes.